New




Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Our Song


This past week and a half, as hectic as it has been, has given me a lot of time to think about our new life, and the blessings that have emerged out of all of this. As evil as this Diabetes is, I've come to the realization that my little girl is now feeling the best that she has been in a long time. Her yeast infection is almost gone, she is very receptive to getting pricked and stuck and her spirits are high. I'm finding that the toughest thing to adjust to is her meals...it is so DAMN hard to get her to EAT at the right times. I cringe when I hear the words, "I'm hungry." Though, aside from our new meal time/night time regimen, she is a very NORMAL little girl! This is what keeps us going. I'm delighted that with all the changes that we've had to succomb to in just a short time that many things still remain the same.

My husband, Mike has been my 'rock' and the strength of our family and friends has made our healing process easier. I'm also finding that I am treasuring mine and Alli's alone time much more than I did before. Not that I didn't treasure it, but I used to take a lot of things for granted, as many of us do in this busy life.

Every night when Alli goes to bed, I lay with her and we talk about the day. It's amazing what she comes up with and the connections she makes about life for being only 3. Before I leave her for the night, I have to sing "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer". I used to get so tired of this song....but not anymore. I've sang it to her so many times that she now sings all the words WITH me. Last night we did our routine that ended in song and then she asked me as she has before, "Mommy, can I ask Santa to take my Diabetes away for Christmas?" I told her, "You can ask, Honey, but Santa won't be able to take it away for you. It will be with you until they find a cure." She paused and I could see her wheels spinning. Then she said, "But, can he hold my hand when I get my shots?" *sigh* One of the most frustrating things about being a parent is that you can't take away their hurt and pain. Wouldn't it be great to find a cure for that, too?

No comments:

Post a Comment